Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Where I'm Coming From

A little background as to why I felt it was time to unstick myself. I am in my 10th year teaching elementary school, a mother of two school-age daughters and a new baby boy, and an all-around suburban hermit. This wasn't always me. Once upon a time I dreamed of adventure, excitement, and doing SOMETHING that felt relevant and significant.

I know, I know, teaching is one of the most important jobs in the world, next to parenting...blah blah blah. I am burnt, completely toasted when it comes to my career. I truly believe the only thing worse than a bad teacher is a burned out teacher. That would be me. It is an icky feeling to know I am only giving a fraction of myself to the students in my class. The scary thing is, I am good at my job...damn good. I have always received many requests from parents to have their children placed in my room. My reputation is excellent. My students love me. So, it makes me sad to know that I should be giving it so much more. What an amazing teacher I would be at this point, with ten years of experience and an apparent gift for the job. The thing is, it's hard to maintain the passion for this profession when, after all these years, I am still living paycheck to paycheck...still struggling financially...still waiting to feel like a grown up. (Sigh)

No comments: