Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Little Slice of Heaven

I returned to my real life in Phoenix on Monday evening. It was sheer joy to see my husband and children again. I missed them like crazy. However, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that it was a treat to spend four and a half relaxing days in Miami, reconnecting with one of my oldest friends.

Actually, let me rephrase that. One of my friends of longest duration.

In addition to renewing our connection, I also had the good fortune to make a new friend as well. Carmindy's friend Pascale was also visiting, so the three of us had a weekend filled with great food, great wine, and lots of girl talk. I can't remember the last time I did that.

My friend's house is the perfect retreat. It's in a quiet neighborhood, surrounded by tropical flowers and trees. She has created an oasis of peace, and it was dreamy to be able to spend time there.








These last two photos are of the room I stayed in. I adore the carved piece above the head of the bed. It's an astrological calendar she had imported from Myanmar. Okay, it probably cost more than my monthly salary, but it was gorgeous!

After surviving the Great South Beach Flood of 2009, we decided to stick close to home on Saturday, and enjoyed a delicious home-grilled meal. Salmon, asparagus, and a mind-boggling kale salad. I'm craving it today!






On Saturday night we did the mandatory Miami nightlife experience. I got to meet some of Carm's friend's from New York, and we had a great time. Most of the evening was spent sitting in awe of the fact that many folks in Miami are still living in the 1980s. Amazing! Amusing!









One of the highlights of the trip for me was spending the day Sunday out on a boat with Carmindy, Pascale, and two other fabulous women named Dee and Melody. Five girls, a boat, great food, cocktails, and a beautiful afternoon...dreamy!









My husband was worried about pirates. I told him we were covered.

No comments: