Saturday, January 23, 2010

I Just Couldn't Do It

Last night, a massive telethon called "Hope for Haiti Now: A Global Benefit for Earthquake Relief" aired on multiple networks all over the US. I wish I could have tuned in, but I couldn't find it in myself to do so.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy beyond measure that the biggest names in entertainment stood up and gave of their time to help raise much-needed funds to support a group of worthy charitable organizations. It warms my heart to know that people continue to keep their hearts open to the tragedy in Haiti and gave generously to help in some way.

But I just couldn't turn on that TV.

Maybe it's because I've spent most of the last two weeks absolutely wrecked by what happened in a place I love so much. Seriously - I have even begun to wonder if it's time for me to call in a counselor because I have found myself, on several occasions, sobbing uncontrollably and totally overwhelmed by the grim reality of the situation.

Or maybe it's because I am sick, SICK to my stomach that THIS is what it took for the world to wake up and see the poverty and desperation that already existed in Haiti, long before the earth shook. I am in total agreement with Anderson Cooper and Dr. Sanjay Gupta, who have frequently commented on the "stupid" and "unnecessary" death and suffering that's taking place in Haiti as a result of the lack of basic infrastructure and social services before the earthquake.

Of all the shiny famous people who stood up for Haiti last night, there are only a couple who ever publicly expressed an ounce of concern about her before January 12, 2010. So, for as much as I genuinely applaud their efforts in last night's telethon, I wish they had cared a little more, a little sooner.

Maybe, if more folks had cared sooner, fewer children would be orphaned today and fewer parents would be wondering what happened to their babies.

If you feel so moved, please feel free to donate to the cause: HopeForHaitiNow.org

I am in no way trying to take away from last night's effort. I just couldn't watch it. I hope it was a good show...

No comments: