Saturday, January 16, 2010

Levity (Or, Is There a Silent Epidemic of Premature Hair Loss in 2010?)

So I spent the better part of this week alternately being devastated by the events in Port-au-Prince and the rest of southern Haiti and being pissed off at ignorant fools who manage to get behind a microphone and in front of a television camera.

By Saturday afternoon I realized I needed to refocus my energy back on my family and give my daughters some girl time, so we spent a few hours at the mall, spending their "Grandma and Grumpy money". It was just what I needed.

It was also an interesting people-watching expedition. Specifically, an interesting teen-watching opportunity. I realize that old people strolling the mall and grousing about the idiotic get-ups in which the younger generation parade themselves is a long-standing American pastime. I'm no trailblazer in this department. But I do wonder if I am the first to notice what appears to be a crisis of epidemic proportions in today's shopping centers, movie theaters, and other popular teen haunts.

You see... the dreaded COMB OVER is no longer confined to stringy-haired balding men in deep denial. It is now the standard issue teen 'do.

What the hell?!?!

Don't believe me? Check this out:

First...the CLASSIC COMB-OVER







And now...COMB-OVER 2.0 (AKA - "I'm 15 and trying to hide premature hair loss")






Maybe it's just me, but I think I see a pattern here... Or do they actually think it looks awesome?

Okay, now nobody better bust out those circa 1985 photos of me with my purple, crimped 'do.

Because that actually DID look awesome.
In my mind.
In 1985.

1 comment:

MY LIFE WITH BOYS! said...

I too had the 80's hair. Loved it!