Thursday, July 10, 2008

Day #15




Whoever made up that whole "...but it's a dry heat..." nonsense about Arizona should be taken behind the outhouse and severely beaten with a wet noodle.

Dry heat, my foot.

For about 8 weeks every year, this part of the country has the marvelous experience of the summer monsoon season. We get regular, powerful thunderstorms and periodic torrential rain. I love the rain, don't get me wrong. I just don't enjoy the humidity that accompanies said rain when it's 109 degrees outside!

So, to summarize Arizona weather:

  • April-June: Hot and dry (think blast furnace or convection oven)
  • July- August: Hot and humid (extreme sauna, Native American sweat lodge)
  • September-October: return to hot and dry (see above)
  • November-March: spells of bitter, bone crushing, lip chapping, skin chafing cold

I guess if you're from somewhere like Buffalo, Arizona's climate seems "nice". I suppose I've been spoiled by over 30 years of my life spent on the coast of southern California. I kind of (understatement) miss living in a place where one has no real need for air conditioning, and rarely has to turn on the heat!

Tired and grouchy, time for bed!

No comments: