Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Day #33

Some things just can't be avoided.

Apparently, my oldest daughter had some weird destiny thing involving scorpions this week. On Saturday night, I ended up gathering my children and all our stuff and jumping in the car at 11:00 PM because there were scorpions (note the plural) running around my mother-in-law's house. I was not about to have my kids sleeping on the floor with that going way! Of course, I am now in the dog house with my MIL, but too bad. My kids come first. We ended up getting a motel room at 2:30 AM because we were just too tired to make it the rest of the way home. Thank God for a safe trip. That was crazy.

Well, since I am out of town for two days and had to leave very early this morning, we decided to allow my girls to have a sleepover at their friend's house last night and then spend the day there today. I was just wrapping up my trip preparations at 10:40 PM when I received a hysterical phone call from my younger daughter. Her sister had been stung multiple times by a scorpion at her friend's house.

I jumped in the car and raced over to pick them up. It was a very long night, with hourly calls from Poison Control (they were awesome, by the way) and constant changing out of the cold compresses. We had Benadryl, cortisone, Tylenol, and hugs on board. She was ok for the first hour or so (adrenaline is a blessing), but after that the venom starting doing its thing and it wasn't fun. It's so hard to watch your child in so much pain and not be able to make it better. She was having spasms and severe pain and just cried and cried. Amazingly, she popped up like a daisy this morning and was fine. I guess the first 6 hours are the worst.

I am thankful for arriving safely at my training today. It was a 3 hour+ drive on mountain roads and I was certainly tired. I wish I was in a better position to enjoy being up in the mountains this evening, but I'm hitting the sack early instead.

Before I go to bed though you can bet I'm checking for scorpions. (((Eeeeehhhhhww!)))


Joannah said...

I can't even imagine! I'm so glad she's okay.

michelle rasor said...

so how long did you stay at your MIL? bummer!! and i am so glad she's ok... crazy!